The original plan of the churchyard was drawn up in the 1960s when there were appointed Guardians of the Churchyard. In 1988 a Working Party set out in earnest to try and correlate the information in the five Burial Registers with the actual graves and give each grave a number. This task was taken up again in 1998 when computerised plans of the churchyard were produced and an alphabetical list of the people recorded in the Burial Register prepared. There are about 1000 graves identifiable in the churchyard commemorating the lives of over 4000 people.
A booklet 'Churchyard Records 1864 - 2000' was completed in February 2001 containing complete listings of all burials and interments since the foundation of the church. A copy of the booklet is kept in the church office. There are plans of all recognisable graves. In the early millennium these records were put into an online searchable database on the church website. See the page Churchyard records - search by surname or year. The database could be consulted by relatives and friends of the deceased who wished to find details of the burial, and if listed, the location of the grave itself. It might also be useful for those interested in the history of the churchyard and the Hampton Hill area, and possibly for other research.
There is a plan of each individual grave in the churchyard with the name and number. To assist searches for individual graves, the plans are divided into areas A to G. This division is shown on the Plan of the churchyard areas. The plans of all the areas are on archived pages. For Area G there exists a separate plan with names only but it is not entirely accurate and we are unsure of its origin.
The plans of each area, eg 'Plan of Graves in Area A', show the numbering of the graves. The numbering of rows is not the conventional left to right, but instead follows a right to left order which conforms with the original listing. The page, (or pages), following each plan, eg 'Names in Area A' list the graves in order with the names of those interred or commemorated in it. Special graves are marked with the letter S in the notes column in the List of Names. Brief notes on these special graves are in the section 'Special Notes. . . '
The Garden of Rest, sometimes called Garden of Remembrance (shown left), Area H, is used solely for the interment of uncontained ashes, with no individual markers in it. Area H is a special area within Area B, as the plan of area B shows. It is well marked and tended, with a small garden at either end.
The War Memorial in the centre of the churchyard was unveiled on 26 May 1920 and features the Roll of Honour of those who died in the two World Wars.
Another special area is within Area D, grave numbers 1D3, 4D7, 4D8, 5D5 to 5D14 inclusive, and 6D6. These commemorate Canadian soldiers who died of their war wounds in a local hospital during or shortly after the First World War (shown right).
The earliest burial in this record is that of Walter Richard Daines, aged 11 months, in 1864. This is in Area A near the noticeboard on the corner of Park Road and St. James's Road. In the early Registers there are records of a considerable number of children who died due to bad housing and insanitary conditions at that time. In the earliest Burial Register the area is known as New Hampton and only changes to Hampton Hill in 1881.
Only the current Burial Register is kept in the church. The other Registers are deposited in the London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, Clerkenwell, London EC 1R 0MB, Tel No 020 7332 3820.