The sanctuary (shown left) is at the east end of the church, separated from the chancel by a step and a brass rail supported on carved stone and marble pillars. The sanctuary is the most sacred part of the church around its high altar. Find out about the high altar on the page The high altar and its reredos. Sanctuary was also the right to be safe which was recognised by English law from the 4th to the 17th century. At that time a person was safe from arrest in the sanctuary of a church or temple.
The credence table (shown right) stands to the right of the high altar. It was gifted to the church in 1967 in memory of Amy Lush and Stephen Forrow. It is used to stand the chalices and pattens on during Parish Communion.
There is a beautiful stained glass window above the high altar in the sanctuary with the three panels showing the 'Birth of Jesus', the 'Ascension' and 'Holy Family and Magi'. On the south side of the sanctuary there is a sedilia (two stone canopied seats) and within this space are two stained glass windows, the 'Last Supper' and the 'Stoning of Stephen' with a bronze plaque beneath. The plaque is inscribed "To the honour and glory of God, and in loving memory of Emma Bligh Christmas 1881". See these and the chancel window on the page The sanctuary & chancel stained glass windows.
In the north sanctuary wall there is a decorated niche - find out about this on the page The niche.
The alms dish or collection plate stands to the left of the sanctuary (shown left). It is inscibed "All things come of thee and of thine own have we given".
See the stonework and tilework on the page Stonework and tilework in the chancel and sanctuary.