The Organ

The organ


The organ at St James's Church is a three manual and pedal organ. It is situated in the chancel and contains hundreds of pipes of different sizes. When the organist plays a note on the keyboard, pressurised air travels by means of bellows to at least one pipe. The air vibrates in the pipe, making a sound that may be anything from a high-pitched whistle to a deep, low-pitched note, depending on the size of the pipe - the largest pipe producing the lowest note, and so on.

The organEach organ pipe produces a single pitch so the pipes are arranged in sets called ranks, each of which has a common timbre and volume throughout the keyboard range. Most organs, including our own, have multiple ranks of pipes of differing timbre, pitch and loudness that the player can employ singly or in combination through the use of controls called 'stops' (shown above).

The 'stops' beside the keyboards control the varieties of tone so that the organ may imitate various musical instruments, both wind and string. The stops have names, like 'diapason', 'vox humana', 'flute', 'celeste'.

The organist uses his hands on the three keyboards, called manuals (shown above), and his feet on the pedalboard beneath the keyboard, each of which has its own group of 'stops'. The organ's continuous supply of pressurised air allows it to sustain notes for as long as the corresponding keys are depressed, unlike the piano and harpsichord, the sounds of which begin to decay the longer the keys are held. The smallest portable pipe organs may have only one or two dozen pipes and one manual; the largest may have over 20,000 pipes and seven manuals.

The painted organ pipesInside the organ chamber

Members of St James's congregation and visitors to the church will probably be familiar with a somewhat distant view of the organ on the north side of the chancel as shown above. Only an intrepid few, however, will have ventured into the interior of the instrument, behind the console.

Here can be seen metal and wooden pipes of many shapes and sizes, the wooden louvres that open and close to change the volume and the miniature computer that is the 'brain' of the instrument. Some of the painted pipes are shown on the right. 

PlaqueOrgan restorations

There have been many restorations and improvements over the years to keep the organ in good working order. A brass plaque on the top of the organ console shows the inscription "This organ was reconstructed in 1951 in thanksgiving for the life of Elizabeth Ellen Gorst who died 14th September 1950."  A second plaque has the inscription "This organ was rebuilt and extended in 1997 by John Males of Eastbourne. Organist Geoffrey Bowyer FRCO M Mus." 

Bernard Whitmill, who has a long association with the organ at St James’s, will spend much of 2017 deep in the organ chamber, meticulously repairing or replacing the parts of the instrument that are showing their age. The concussion bellows (these ensure the airflow is kept constant to the organ pipes at all times) were repaired and some of the pipes were moved around so that the organ would even better than it did. This was good news for members of the congregation who sit in the north transept as they were no longer deafened when the trumpet pipes were used, (they were previously near the front of the organ). These were moved towards the back of the organ and also higher up in the organ chamber, which is where they would normally be placed in a good organ layout. Have a look at the photo album.

Looking back

Services through the years

Contact

Mark Blackwell on 07768 146879